Saturday, May 26, 2012

Dance, music and stories are absolutely in.cre.di.ble.

I love watching the introductory parts to the routines - the choreographer describing the piece briefly and also how the dancers personally relate to it. The introduction gives the premise to which I can interpret the piece. Otherwise, I'd be interpreting it too personally and that would be taking away the point of the work - to bring the choreographer's message across, understand what she has to say.

I think art isn't necessarily a self-absorbed thing as we mostly think it to be. It isn't just about interpreting things your way (unless you're creating eg. choreographers creating a dance, and therefore having to interpret music their own way). Art is also, and mostly, about trying to understand what others want to say. Interpretation is about keeping our senses open, not just trying to relate to pieces.

(my vocabulary range is pathetic. but you get what i mean.)

No comments: